Sunday, January 9, 2011

It starts with a dream to sail around the world

In the beginning there is thought. A thought that triggers a sea of emotion. Ultimately, if that thought is nurtured and allowed to settle in the mind, an artificially created reality starts to form in the mind, a dream if you will. And that is where we stand: A dream to sail to the most beautiful places around the world.

But is a dream really enough to take you where you want to go? The good news is that your mind can't differentiate between your thoughts and reality, so as far as your mind is concerned you're already there. So how does this get me on a sail boat drinking a cold one anchored out in some of the most beautiful waters around the world you ask? It doesn't, but it has the potential to. See the formula some say is simple. Take your dream of sailing around the world, get a burning desire and become so obsessed with it that it forces you into action and then it will only be a matter of time before it becomes a reality.

This is the beginning of my journey. I've become obsessed with my goal of sailing around the world and I've been catapulted into action and I have no control over it. I have decided to create this blog and document my progress from IT Analyst to Sailor. My entire journey from textbook learning to actual sailing lessons and training and eventually purchasing the right sailboat and setting off to sail around the world will be documented. I hope that some of you will find the information that will evolve over the many months very useful and maybe even get motivated and develop a burning desire which will catapult you into action as well.

Now I do have to admit, I have already taken some steps financially toward achieving my goal to sail around the world.  A few months ago I started putting aside 10% of my salary toward the 'sailing adventure fund' which I will not touch for any other purpose besides sailing. Other than that I believe we are at step one: Learning to talk, do and walk like a Skipper which means starting sailing lessons both text book and practical are in due order. But until then keep on fueling the fire of your burning desire!     
   

1 comment:

  1. I too am an IT guy who has the same goal. How far are you now on your progress?

    ReplyDelete