Monday, January 10, 2011

Sail Solo or Sail With Company

Sailing solo around the world sure sounds like the ultimate adventure and it has been done by a few dozen people since Joshua Slocum first did it 1895-1898. The youngest person to sail solo around the world non-stop so far was a 16 year old girl named Jessica Watson. So it appears that it is definitely do-able! But then again who am I to say I didn't even start sailing yet. But if one's dream is to sail the world in their own boat then one should start asking themselves whether they're going to sail alone, with a partner or with a group.Personally, I like company and as much as I like to isolate myself from everything once in a while and meditate on my thoughts, sailing the world alone might be too much. Right? The reason I'm asking is because I can see myself sailing the world alone but everyone that has done it had to overcome tremendous challenges.
The point is that I am learning that sailing is quite a challenge from those that are out there sailing already. The good news is that its making me want to start sailing even sooner because I want to experience that challene for myself.

Realistically most people sail the world with at least one other person. Couples that both enjoy sailing and sail around the world together appear to be the happiest bunch. They make sailing a part of their life. Most of them are live aboard sailors and sail from place to place as a family.I hear a lot of stories of men never taking their sailboats out of the marina due to the fact that their significant other or family does not share the same dreams and goals. This is why it is important to share these goals with those closest to you and find out where they stand.

If you've come across this blog, remember, I am not an expert. I am just an ordinary man with an extraordinary goal. My goal is to sail around the world in my own sail boat. Before that dream becomes a reality I will be taking many baby steps over the many months to come and document all of it here on this blog. If you have a similar goal I'd love to hear about it. If you're an experienced sailor then I would be honored if you had any advice to send my way.

So the question is: Sailing solo or sailing with friends and family? I would love to hear some feedback, especially from experienced sailors... please do enlighten us with your knowledge and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment