Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Toronto International Boat Show

This week I went to the Toronto International Boat show. It was my first time being at one and it was a great experience. I even entered myself in a draw to win a nice boat for "the cottage" which I would probably sell immediately and use that money as a down payment for a sail boat!

They had a lot of sailboats but unfortunately they were all mono-hull boats with only one Gemini 33 catamaran that is definitely not fit for ocean sailing around the world. Lagoon was on the list by they didn't have any catamarans on display, only an information booth. As you can tell I am definitely leaning towards a multi-hull boat (catamaran) for many reasons that I will discuss in the posts to follow.

So all in all the Toronto International Boat show was OK but they could really use some catamarans on display. I actually wanted to leave 15 minutes in because there was only one catamaran on display, the Gemini 33 and it wasn't even a true blue ocean going vessel. Although, Jeanneau and Beneteau had some really nice sailboats on display. Beneteau actually merged with Lagoon I believe and Lagoon is now part of Beneteau.

If you are a fan of the mono-hulls then this show's for you. If you like catamarans more like myself then I would recommend going down to the Miami boat show. The boat show was exciting but the display inside the boats was very unrealistic. Example: Dinner plates and glasses with flower vases made of glass with flowers inside in a mono-hull sail boat that is going to heel on a side launching your plates and glasses across the floor.

I had taken some pictures that I was going to post but unfortunately I deleted them all off the camera thinking that they were transferred to the computer without any problem, sadly they were not! So no pictures this time. I'll find some good pics for the following posts when we compare the advantages and disadvantages of different sailboats.

No comments:

Post a Comment